About Mix the City India
Mix the City (MTC) is an interactive music platform that draws users to explore the music of a particular region and create their unique music compositions that can be shared online.
Mix the City India has four versions, showcasing the diversity of sound, music and cultural influences from the country's 4 metros: Chennai, Delhi, Kolkata and Mumbai. Each version of the platform features 12 Indian musicians whose original music samples have been compiled by UK music-producers (Boxed In, Django Django and Anna Meredith, along with Israeli producer Kutiman) into short audio/ video samples. These samples can be combined and mixed up, to compose a soundtrack that the user can share on their social media channels, directly from the website.
Users do not require any prior knowledge of music or rhythm to explore this platform. It is a fun, intuitive website that allows you to explore the sounds of your city through its local musicians.
Launched in April 2015 with Tel Aviv, in part-funding from The Space and BBC, there have been a total of six MTC versions so far, globally. Users from over 198 countries have accessed this platform with over 2M reach.
Mix the City will launch 4 editions in India over the course of 2017. The first launch was the Mumbai edition on 31 March, 2017 with followed by Mix the City, Delhi. On 15 September, 2017 we launched our third edition, Kolkata.
How to create your Mix
- Log onto Mix the City: https://www.mixthecity.com/ from your PC, laptop, tablet, Android/ iOS device.
- You can listen to the Curator's 4-Minute audio/ video mix by clicking on "Watch XYZ's Mix'. Or if you want to skip that option and jump straight to the musician section, click on 'Make Music' button.
- Once you see a palatte of 12 musicians, you can start creating your soundtrack by clicking on the 'R' button.
- Mix through the different sound samples on the pallatte and once you are satisfied, click the 'R' button again, to stop recording.
- Now you can playback your mix by clicking on the 'Play' icon on screen.
- You are now ready to share this Mix with friends by clicking on any of the four social media channel icons.
- If you are not pleased with your Mix, you can start over, from option 3.
- Did you like it? Create another Mix.
About the Partners
Mix the City India would not have been possible without the constant support and creative collaboration with UK-based digital content partners Flying Object and Roll Studio and Chennai-based Production partner EarthSync India.
Rolling Stone India is our Promotional partner for all 4 editions of Mix the City. You can read about the stories in Rolling Stones India, here: